« Home | Doctrine & Covenants: section eighty-nine » | Self Consciousness: An Ugly Form of Pride, or Just... » | Liberate Thyselves from the Chains of Self-Conscio... » | Apples in a bag!! » | Super Mom » | By Comparison » | Took A Long TIme To Stand, Took An Hour To Fall » | Why are we self conscious? » | Lance Has Not Left the Building » | It’s All About the Attitude » 

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 

I Get So High When I'm Around You Baby

1 A WORD OF WISDOM, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—

3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—


If you've ever read anything I've ever written before, I think it's pretty clear that I am weak. My flesh is strong, and daily I work on making my spirit stronger, but the flesh wins out a lot more often than I like to think about. So, when I read D&C 89, I know it's meant for me, the weakest of the saints. I know myself well, and I know that I would be a drunk smoker who occasionally dropped E with her morning Starbucks if I wasn't LDS. And despite my Mormonism I have dabbled in almost all of the above. In my dabbling, I learned that there is a lot of wisdom in that section of the Doctrine and Covenants. I know that the things that are warned against are warned against for a reason. So, I don’t partake. I leave it alone because I know I would rather not leave it alone. I let my spirit win this battle.

Despite my weakness, and KNOWING that it is a weakness, I ALWAYS walk down the coffee aisle when I'm grocery shopping because I love the smell so much, I never ask a smoker to move away from me because I like the smell (especially if they smoke cloves), I go to bars and night clubs and I love watching my friends get drunk and laughing with them about whatever happens to be so hilarious we can't breathe. I haven't always been that way. For a long time I was a near Nazi about everything that had to do with the WofW. I wouldn't dare associate with someone who broke this commandment, but then, rather suddenly, those people who were breaking it started to be members of my family and friends I had had for decades and people who loved me just as I am. I realized that you could still love the sinner but not the sin. I don't care if someone I love drinks a margarita or a glass of wine, I don't care that they smoke (though, of everything, this is what I wish they wouldn't do the most because, dang it... lung function is a GOOD THING!). I don't in any way advocate the taking of illegal drugs, and would never so myself (though, the thought of Ecstasy has always intrigued me), but I understand that some people have taken them. I think it's just a matter of what works for you, it’s about everyone making their own choices wise or not. For me, the word of wisdom works. I see the wisdom in it. I know that I am weak, I know I would like booze and cigarettes and E too much. So, I steer clear. But, I will buy any of my drinking friends a shot, as long as they toast me first.

Sarah....you amaze me...again.
Recognizing your weaknesses makes you a strong person! I am so glad that you have the WoW to lean on!
Sandy

Sarah...

Of all people, you don't need any "help" to have a good time. I don't know anyone who can keep up with the silliness of the drunken as well as you.

Post a Comment

This Week's Topic:

  • The Sabbath Day

Various Authors

  • Monday:
    Kaycee opted out of Mormondom 4 years ago. She calls herself agnostic.
  • Tuesday:
    Sarah is not your average Gospel Doctrine Teacher.
  • Wednesday:
    Carrie Ann comes from pioneer stock, and lives in Provo, but is open minded and fair.
  • Thursday:
    Ned Flanders hasn't been to church in a while, but maintains an interest in all things Mormon.
  • Friday:
    John C. is an academic with a sense of humor and a testimony.
  • Saturday:
    JP's not going to church and feeling okay about it.

Various Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates