« Home | From Your Love I Grew Into Complete And Whole » | You Snooze You Lose! » | Aren’t You Lucky… » | A true master piece of our times..... » | This Week of Not So Much » | Even Underlineing Nabokov When I Am Not In Love » | "Curiosity is insobordination in its purest form."... » | If I Were a Mormon Celebrity… » | The Answer to the Question, who is the most famous... » | Did I Miss the Fireside on Mormon Celebrities??? » 

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 

Can Do

Although it may not appear like it lately, I don't actually consider "non-blogging" to be my greatest strength. Last week, guilt for not reading and technical difficulties barred my way. Today... I just forgot. But today isn't over, yet, and even if no one gets to read this, I'll feel better for having written it.

I've got this "can-do" attitude, see. It manifests itself in many forms. First and foremost, it's what sends me to work every day. There are many teachers who drudge day in and day out muddling through and not seeing any good come of whatever efforts they make. I'm not one of them. I often feel ill equipped to do what I want to accomplish, but it doesn't stop me from trying to find a way.

Just last week I was talking to a friend and telling them that our school may try out this new team-building program for all of the students next year to improve the school climate and limit bullying, gossip, etc. She said to me, "It's not going to work."

And I was stunned. My friend has been teaching for one more year than I have, albeit in a higher socio-economic bracket, and she was so pessimistic. She refused to see the possibility that the program might be helpful. Me? I'm willing to give anything a try. It might put us out a couple grand, but look at what we could gain.

I don't reserve my optimism for school... I keep it in a number of areas of life. I just started my own non-blogger blog... which I had to figure out all of the parts of... and I'm still figuring out. I only knew a few HTML codes up until 6 months ago... and now I've created my own site.

But with this "can-do" attitude, I tend to take on too much. I really wish I was better at not accepting or starting projects that I would not have the time or energy for... or when I do... I wish I was better at asking for help.

I looked over my schedule for this summer, and I must be crazy. I've got my wedding to plan, with all of the bridal shower, bachelorette party and rehersal dinners associated with that. I'm teaching summer school (how else would I pay for it all?) and taking next year's student council to a three day camp the weekend before my wedding. I'm also planning my ten year reunion, going to a 5 day conference out of state and right around the same time I'm in charge of taking the 8th graders on one field trip and the 7th graders on another.

I'm a busy girl.

But the crazy thing is that I have more that I want to do. I want to redo the back yard, create an infrustructure at my school that will make it easier for teachers to create and run clubs, and I want to be a better partner to my fiance.

If life were a buffet... you could say that my eyes are just bigger than my stomach. My strength is my belief that it can be done and it can be great. But I really wish I had the strength to pace myself, plan better, and ask for help when I need it.

Wow, I got tired just reading that! I love that you are so optimistic too many people shoot down ideas without ever considering the possibilities and without any kind of a solution of their own. I have a hard time with that.

Are you planning to rest anytime soon?

Post a Comment

This Week's Topic:

  • The Sabbath Day

Various Authors

  • Monday:
    Kaycee opted out of Mormondom 4 years ago. She calls herself agnostic.
  • Tuesday:
    Sarah is not your average Gospel Doctrine Teacher.
  • Wednesday:
    Carrie Ann comes from pioneer stock, and lives in Provo, but is open minded and fair.
  • Thursday:
    Ned Flanders hasn't been to church in a while, but maintains an interest in all things Mormon.
  • Friday:
    John C. is an academic with a sense of humor and a testimony.
  • Saturday:
    JP's not going to church and feeling okay about it.

Various Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates