« Home | I Love Potato Chips Too Much » | Uncle Spiderman had it right. » | Can Do » | From Your Love I Grew Into Complete And Whole » | You Snooze You Lose! » | Aren’t You Lucky… » | A true master piece of our times..... » | This Week of Not So Much » | Even Underlineing Nabokov When I Am Not In Love » | "Curiosity is insobordination in its purest form."... » 

Monday, May 02, 2005 

Halfway between the gutter and the stars

In my house I was taught that you are lying if you are not telling the truth. Of course as I re-read the above that sounds obvious, but what I mean is that I may not actually say anything false, but if I know the truth and withhold it, then I am lying, or at least will be punished as if I am. When I think of sins of omission this definition of lying helps me understand sins of omission more clearly. Of course there are the acts that are sins, but then there are the things I know to do but fail to do - my sins of omission.

But what are these sins of omission? Sin, from a non-religious standpoint, is something that is "regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong." While I am sure you would like me to, I am not going to provide a long list of the shameful, deplorable and utterly wrong things I've done in my life or even a short one for that matter. I am sure our readership would increase tenfold if I would, but still not going to do it, not even for the numbers. To be honest I just don't want to know how long or short that list is. Although, I will admit that I am sure I have more sins of omission then I do straight out sins. They are easier to have because I don't actually have to do anything and I've sinned with out even being aware and I come out guilt free. For example, as long as I have lived in San Francisco I have not volunteered for a single activity that assists my community -- oh wait, that isn't true... I just thought of one thing I've done (more for social reasons and less for the good of the community). I don't know if I would say this is utterly wrong of me, but I think it is a shame. I think it is shameful that I don't do more, or anything really. Of course I didn't think about how little I've done for my community until the topic of sins of omission came up. I guess that would mean that not thinking about the things I should be doing that I don't do is another of my sins. I wonder why it is that I don't think about these things?

A while back at my own blog I wrote about how the longer I lived in the more seedy part of San Francisco the less afraid of it I became and the more comfortable I became walking around the neighborhood. Another individual at his blog wrote on a similar topic. He explained that this is because we no longer see what is going on around us, but become blind to our gutters and sidewalks, glancing just above the sadness to make ourselves more comfortable. Choosing not to see the true state of affairs of things that are going on around me in all aspects of my life, in all of our lives, is sad. Life is much easier when I only think about me, when I only see things the way I want to believe they are. I guess it wouldn't kill me to pull my rose colored glasses down just a little on my nose and peek above the rims, I guess it would be shameful if I didn't.

Not to be a snide spineless bastard but I think I’d a preferred at least an in depth listing of all the deplorable things as opposed to just the minor sins and transgressions, after all we’re talking numbers in readership! I mean what’s so bad about exposing a few deep dark secretes among hundreds of people you don’t even know, or want to know for that matter, all incognito like over the internet?

I wanted a blog and for my sins they gave me one!

I think you've "exposed" a "sin of omission" that touches a nerve with all of us: service and charity. Personally, I agree with the old Spidey average that with great ability/power comes responsibility. So comes responsibility with blessings as well. My dry warm house is a blessing, and the food in my fridge is a blessing, and so are the LoveSacs in my TV room. I'll be pondering this notion all day. Thanks, Bec.

I am not sure that I completely agree with you Miss F on the the topic of becoming more comfortable to walk around because “Choosing not to see the true state of affairs of things….”
I can say that when I first arrived in Brazil, I was scared of everything. The poverty, the eggs and corn on hamburgers, the drivers, the houses, everything. It was all different, and difficult to understand. The longer I lived there I began to understand things, and accept them more. I actually enjoy a hamburger with peas, and corn and eggs on it. I understand that people in the street were not threatening, they were just poor, and could not afford to pay the lady down the street to wash their clothes. There may be some cases where we either become desensitized, or actually do look down our noses at people. But I do think that a lot of times we just develop a better understanding of what is different, or scares us, and we become a little more tolerant.

Post a Comment

This Week's Topic:

  • The Sabbath Day

Various Authors

  • Monday:
    Kaycee opted out of Mormondom 4 years ago. She calls herself agnostic.
  • Tuesday:
    Sarah is not your average Gospel Doctrine Teacher.
  • Wednesday:
    Carrie Ann comes from pioneer stock, and lives in Provo, but is open minded and fair.
  • Thursday:
    Ned Flanders hasn't been to church in a while, but maintains an interest in all things Mormon.
  • Friday:
    John C. is an academic with a sense of humor and a testimony.
  • Saturday:
    JP's not going to church and feeling okay about it.

Various Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates