« Home | Lookin’ for Love in All the Right Places… » | The Ay Yai Yais Have It » | in between » | Same old me » | Me - Unplugged » | My True Identity » | It Feels Like Home To Me » | Me: Revisited » | Various Stages of Mormondom...Revisited » | Bingo! » 

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 

You've Got A Friend In Me

When I was growing up there was one person I emulated spiritually. That person was JP. I've said it before, and it remains true, but JP is the reason I believe in God. When I was younger (and not so much younger actually) I struggled with my faith in many things, especially my faith in God and in myself. I lived a life where few people followed through, and few things that were promised came to fruition so I had a rather difficult time believing in a God I couldn't see or touch. JP helped me not only find value in the gospel of Jesus Christ, but also value in myself. She was the first person I believed when she told me I was good. She was the first person I believed when she bore her testimony to me.

Over the years JP and I have maintained our friendship, it is a friendship I can't imagine my life without. When I get married in three months she will be my matron of honor, not just because she is the coolest person I know, but because she helped me recognize my husband. Dustin is an amazing man, and I recognized in him things I had become familier with because of JP. I saw kindness, quiet strength, tenderness and faith. I grew up in a life that didn't have many of these things. I wouldn't have known how wonderful I could have it if JP hadn't shown me.

I honestly believe that people are placed in our lives so we learn something. I am horrible when it comes to choosing partners for relationships. I have had bad boyfriend after bad boyfriend, men who have thwarted my spiritual growth at every oppertunity. But I wouldn't change a single one of those experiances because they made Dustin stand out like a lighthouse. My future husband glows with love, with the Spirit, and with sheer joy. If it hadn't had been for the people who have flowed in and out of my life over the last 27 years I would never have recognized him. I would never have been able to see him. I'm so glad for the people, for the relationships, that have shaped me and moulded me for this time in my life.

How sweet. I wish I had a friend like JP!

Sandy

Post a Comment

This Week's Topic:

  • The Sabbath Day

Various Authors

  • Monday:
    Kaycee opted out of Mormondom 4 years ago. She calls herself agnostic.
  • Tuesday:
    Sarah is not your average Gospel Doctrine Teacher.
  • Wednesday:
    Carrie Ann comes from pioneer stock, and lives in Provo, but is open minded and fair.
  • Thursday:
    Ned Flanders hasn't been to church in a while, but maintains an interest in all things Mormon.
  • Friday:
    John C. is an academic with a sense of humor and a testimony.
  • Saturday:
    JP's not going to church and feeling okay about it.

Various Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates