« Home | No Rythym for Your Big Bootie » | You've Got The Music In You » | Danke Schoen » | we are gonna be friends » | Hello Everybody » | What Sarah Didn’t Tell You » | For a Guy? » | You've Got A Friend In Me » | Lookin’ for Love in All the Right Places… » | The Ay Yai Yais Have It » 

Thursday, June 02, 2005 

I Just Can't Get Enough

Music is very prevalent in my life. It always has been. I think I sang before I could even talk and many of my early memories have a soundtrack attached to it. It’s just a part of who I am. I grew up in a fairly musical environment. My maternal grandfather was a very talented pianist and it was important to my parents that we had that same opportunity and the three of us took lessons. I love to sing and was involved in (mostly) church choirs, but would often sing with my dearest of friends at church meetings, firesides, etc. (Sarah, do you NOT remember our Young Womanhood Recognition where at the end of my talk we BELTED out “Taking It Home with Me” with Rachel and Jaimee? GOOD TIMES. LOL)

My parents LOVE good music and I think my love of a variety of music started with them. I can never listen to Carly Simon, Carol King or James Taylor without thinking of my mom. And then, not surprising, my dad was a huge Beatles Buff. At a very early age I could sing along to most of the NUMEROUS albums he had/has.

On family road trips, our soundtrack was extensive. Sesame Street sing-a-longs were ALWAYS a hit when we were younger. (“Let’s take a ride in an automobile” or Ernie’s version of “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” were two of our favorites.) But then we’d move on to ANY Disney song…then to all the Beatles’ songs we could think of and THEN we moved passed all that to Don McClean’s “American Pie” which no road trip is complete without it. There are so many memories attached to all of those songs, it’s a wonder they even fit into my pea-brain.

I think now that I have kids, music is one of my favorite “traditions” I’ve carried on with my girls. Even on the shortest of trips to the store, there is ALWAYS music playing that we all sing along to. True, my collection now consist of more Hillary Duff, Kelly Clarkson any other Disney (or American Idol, I guess) prodigy than I thought possible, it is so much fun to sing along with those girls!!! (For those of you who were worried, I expose them to just as much Green Day, U2, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s Hits, Usher, Gwen Stefani, etc to balance out the Bubble Gum Pop. Abby, who’s 3, singing Green Day or Hubastank is PRICELESS.) I love the new memories I’m making with those girls as we blast the stereo, or dance around the living room having the time of our lives. I’d like to think that I’m starting the soundtrack for their young lives that, when they look back, it will be with much fondness like I do mine.

I really think music brings “it all” together. Music has always been a huge part of my life and continues to be. I would go so far as to say that it truly affects who I am because music fits into so many aspects of my life. (And that’s not even mentioning that “rock star” husband of mine!) You see, I love every minute of my life’s soundtrack and ALL the memories that go with it. Because when it comes right down to it, I have been so blessed in my life and the soundtrack to my life totally rocks and the good memories outweigh the bad. That’s something to dance about.

Years ago, my mother asked me to draw her a picture; one she could keep and frame. I chose to draw my dominant choldhood memory of us together. This consisted of her and me, sitting in the front seat of the old blue station wagon, her with a Dorothy Hamil wedge haircut and huge sunglasses, both of us wit our mouths wide open, and around the edges of the picture are the words to the lyrics we are singing: "Have you never been mellow? Have you never tried...?" Olivia Newton John is as connected to my childhood as my very mother. I love the memories you are making with your girls and don't think for one second they won't remember it! Good times!

Ladies and Gentlmen: JP could name all the songs, in order, on all the Beatles albums when she was just 12(ish).

PS Thank goodness mom and dad were not country music listeners. No, I mean really, really thank goodness.

I’d like to think that I’m starting the soundtrack for their young lives

What a beautiful thought! I'm going to remember that whenever I am singing and dancing with my daughter. Thanks!

Post a Comment

This Week's Topic:

  • The Sabbath Day

Various Authors

  • Monday:
    Kaycee opted out of Mormondom 4 years ago. She calls herself agnostic.
  • Tuesday:
    Sarah is not your average Gospel Doctrine Teacher.
  • Wednesday:
    Carrie Ann comes from pioneer stock, and lives in Provo, but is open minded and fair.
  • Thursday:
    Ned Flanders hasn't been to church in a while, but maintains an interest in all things Mormon.
  • Friday:
    John C. is an academic with a sense of humor and a testimony.
  • Saturday:
    JP's not going to church and feeling okay about it.

Various Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates