« Home | You've Got The Music In You » | Danke Schoen » | we are gonna be friends » | Hello Everybody » | What Sarah Didn’t Tell You » | For a Guy? » | You've Got A Friend In Me » | Lookin’ for Love in All the Right Places… » | The Ay Yai Yais Have It » | in between » 

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 

No Rythym for Your Big Bootie

My parents paid for me to have piano lessons for 3 years. I finally was able to tell them a couple of things about why I wasn't exactly a good student.
  1. I have no rythym. I can't even clap on beat when everyone else in the room is clapping on beat.
  2. I can't sight read well at all. My brain breaks the notes up into the wrong size chunks.
  3. If I'm not good at it.... I don't have fun with it.
Because of my natural ineptitude for music, I've never felt the kind of love that some people feel for it. That isn't to say that I hated everything. I liked plenty of songs, but mostly songs with lyrics that are clearly intelligible and make some sort of sense.

Maybe it's because I never had that music-worshiping connection that I never bought into the reccomendations given by church leaders against listening to certain kinds of music. I know the reason why "Baby got back" wasn't played at our stake dances, but it didn't stop me from singing every word whenever it played on the radio (which.... 1991 was about every other minute).

I don't think that music affects who I am, but it can affect HOW I am. I know that if I listen to certain songs when I'm sleepy or a little sad that I'll perk right up. I rarely listen to sad songs because they make me sad.

Maybe who you are is just a function of how you are, anyhow and I just try to convince myself otherwise.

One thing, I do know for sure: "I like big butts and I can not lie, you other brothers can't deny, that when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist and a round thing in your face, you get sprung," isn't actually who I am. But I like it anyways.

I love it. I love that music can get a crowd to go wild. I love that you love Sir Mixalot. I love how when "We're Not Gonna Take It" came on the radio today I sang out loud, and I was hoping that my 4 year old and 2 year old nephews were digging it.

When I hear Love Shack, THAT makes me happy...and tap my toes. It also reminds me of church dances when folks would STOMP and the "one" part in the song. I never understood that part...but love the song anyway...

honestly, does loving big butts and getting sprung describe a wide group of people? i don't know...but i do know that a wide group of people love that song...I mean, the lyrics! "Oh Rumple-smooth-skin, you say you wanna get in my Benz..." How could anyone not like that?

One day I was at a ball game and one coach, the wife of the stake president, started heckling another coach, "pitcher has a big butt." I was entranced before her normalness in spite of her esteemed position in life. Off the subject.

I love the song "Mony Mony." I have it on several CD's and play it loud for my grandchildren. They have a blast.

Post a Comment

This Week's Topic:

  • The Sabbath Day

Various Authors

  • Monday:
    Kaycee opted out of Mormondom 4 years ago. She calls herself agnostic.
  • Tuesday:
    Sarah is not your average Gospel Doctrine Teacher.
  • Wednesday:
    Carrie Ann comes from pioneer stock, and lives in Provo, but is open minded and fair.
  • Thursday:
    Ned Flanders hasn't been to church in a while, but maintains an interest in all things Mormon.
  • Friday:
    John C. is an academic with a sense of humor and a testimony.
  • Saturday:
    JP's not going to church and feeling okay about it.

Various Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates