« Home | Welcome to the Spiritual Gymnasium...Take a Towel » | You just haven’t earned it yet, baby » | Impossible possibilities and other what-not » | Because Being Human is Part of the Problem » | I Care, But I Don't Compare... » | What do I care? » | More On What We Don't Know » | What the Heck Do We Know? » | It Took A Long Time To Become You » | I Am Not a Monkey...Although My Husband Begs to Di... » 

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 

I Was Blind, But Now I See

I honestly can't tell you how difficult it is to follow Carrie Ann every week. The woman is AMAZING and knows her stuff. But, more often than not we share a lot of opinions. Because of this, I usually end up telling you about my own personal experiances with our chosen topic of the week. This week it's spiritual death, and yeah, I've been there and done that. It's no fun.

As I have shared in the past, I have had my share of trials, and made more than my share of bad choices. If there is one thing I know, it's that you can't feel the Spirit very well when you're doing stuff you shouldn't be doing. The other thing I learned, is that I have yet to do anything that pushes me into some place where I can't return to my Heavenly Father. I have had moments where I really believed I was too far gone, where I had done more than was at all forgiveable. Amazingly enough though, when I was ready, and talked with my Heavenly Father (and as appropriate, priesthood leaders) it was amazing how quickly the Spirit was again a presance in my life. It took work, it took prayer, it took determination to give up the things that were keeping me from the presance of my Heavenly Father. But I knew what was important to me. So... I did those things that were required of me to return. I have a testimony of the atonement because I have been dead and live again. I have lived in darkness, and can tell you, the light is much better. Heavenly Father is just waiting on us to apply the atonement, to turn away from behaviors that keep us from him, and live with the Spirit in our lives.

A-men!I have been forgiven too many times than is fair. I was really reluctant to tackle the Mormon doctrine on "sons of perdition" and "outer darkness" etc. I thought I would give a more simple over view. I, too, prefer the "sunny side of the street".

One of the most spiritual experiences I have had in my life was the night of the disciplinary council where I was disfellowshipped. I felt a powerful witness that the Lord was pleased that I was taking the necessary steps to return to Him. It was painful, true, but I felt the comfort of the Spirit that if I completed my repentance, all would be well. Now, several years later, and back in full fellowship, I remember this experience as a critical point where the Lord reached out with his love and reassured me that it was not too late for me to change. I too prefer the llght to the darkness, having experienced them both. Glory be to God for the magnificent gift of His Son, who provides a way of escape for us from spiritual death.

These posts were good to read, including the comments.

Post a Comment

This Week's Topic:

  • The Sabbath Day

Various Authors

  • Monday:
    Kaycee opted out of Mormondom 4 years ago. She calls herself agnostic.
  • Tuesday:
    Sarah is not your average Gospel Doctrine Teacher.
  • Wednesday:
    Carrie Ann comes from pioneer stock, and lives in Provo, but is open minded and fair.
  • Thursday:
    Ned Flanders hasn't been to church in a while, but maintains an interest in all things Mormon.
  • Friday:
    John C. is an academic with a sense of humor and a testimony.
  • Saturday:
    JP's not going to church and feeling okay about it.

Various Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates