« Home | I knew that this would be a hard post » | I Like the Simple Explanations » | Foreordination and Agency Don't Mix » | The Circle Of Our Love » | Foreordination: is it fair? » | Cemetery Gates » | Veiled Speech » | Sometimes It's Okay Not to Have All the Answers » | What the %*@# Do I Know? » | This Is Not The End » 

Saturday, September 24, 2005 

is it really so strange?

I don’t think about foreordination often because 1) Most of the accepted Mormon Doctrine on this topic strikes me as ranging from best guesses to crazy ruminations and 2) Whenever I start to think about it I’m reminded of the conversations certain associates would try to have with me when they were very stoned.

“Many are called but few are chosen.” I don’t think that has anything to do with a specific calling or position. All are called unto Christ, but few respond, and so few are chosen. Actual foreordination, maybe it happens. Maybe some are destined to do certain things and there’s nothing anyone can do to change it. One of my friends in high school—he was destined to be our school’s all time star athlete and no amount of cutting class, cheating on tests, sleeping with the English teacher’s daughter, or drinking alcohol on school grounds was going to keep him from meeting that destiny; and by association it meant that I never got busted for anything either, which was cool.

Even if some do have a specific calling, were foreordained. Who cares? Whatever the heck you have to do in your life, it isn’t any less or any more important than what anyone else is “called” to do. Bottom line, God is no respecter of persons. Could be the Prophet, the President, Bill Gates or some shmoe, toiling away unnoticed in China, Sweden, or the Amazon jungle, they aren’t any less or any more important than you, and what you do with your life isn’t any less or any more important that what they do with theirs. Except for Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. I’m pretty sure that everyone reading this is more important than Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. But not George Clooney. He’s kind of cool and dare I say, for a man, he’s kind of sexy, even if he did turn in the lamest Batman performance ever. And Ocean’s Eleven and Twelve, not that great, but he’s got Out of Sight and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind backing him up, and that goes a long way.

And that’s the end of my last post here at VSoM. People come and go in the bloggernacle and it’s time for me to go. By way of a brief explanation, recently I’ve felt that I need to focus my energy elsewhere so that’s what I’m doing. Various Stages of Mormondom, and the bloggernacle in general, have had a positive influence on my life and my views toward God and the church. Thanks to Rebecca, for inviting me to post here, and to the VSoM crew for letting me stay, and thanks to those who have added to the discussion with their comments. I’m especially appreciative of the amiability and respect that exists at VSoM despite the differences in opinion and belief. My successor takes over next week, a man whose shoes I am not worthy to polish. I’m sure you’ll enjoy what he has to say.

You will be missed. Good luck and take care...

Don't be a stranger.

Okay.

Post a Comment

This Week's Topic:

  • The Sabbath Day

Various Authors

  • Monday:
    Kaycee opted out of Mormondom 4 years ago. She calls herself agnostic.
  • Tuesday:
    Sarah is not your average Gospel Doctrine Teacher.
  • Wednesday:
    Carrie Ann comes from pioneer stock, and lives in Provo, but is open minded and fair.
  • Thursday:
    Ned Flanders hasn't been to church in a while, but maintains an interest in all things Mormon.
  • Friday:
    John C. is an academic with a sense of humor and a testimony.
  • Saturday:
    JP's not going to church and feeling okay about it.

Various Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates