« Home | Holy Sabbath, Postman! » | Sundays With Sarah » | The Forgotten Commandment » | Who's Got the Look? » | Paint a vulgar picture » | The Chosen » | Stupid Is As Stupid SAYS » | Punchline = Polygamy » | Horny Mormons » | Favorite Myth? That Would Have to Be Myth Drrty Gi... » 

Thursday, October 06, 2005 

What Constitutes Holy?

I feel like a hypocrite when I say that I see that there is a benefit (to those who chose to do it) to keeping the Sabbath Day holy when it is not something I practice. I’m not against it, it’s just not something that I chose. Having said that, there is a lot of “busyness” on Sundays for church members who have “busy”callings, have teenagers with firesides, choir practice, stake meeting and other various church meetings that adds on a bunch to just a regular church schedule. I think that keeping the Sabbath Day holy takes on an entirely new meaning this day and age.

Sure, not everyone has a calling that demands so much of their time or has choir practice, firesides, etc. But we sure did growing up (and my parents and siblings still do.) With all the church meetings and activities, do you really have time for much holiness in the “keeping the Sabbath Day holy” equation?

I’m just throwing those out there for argument sake. Like Carrie Anne touched upon, the church is fairly vague about what keeping the Sabbath Day holy should mean to each member, besides the obvious. It’s up to each person of family to figure out what it means for them.

Personally, my only goal for Sundays is to be with my family. Spend as much time together as possible and get ready for another whirl-wind of a week. If we happen to need to go to the store, go to lunch with friends…so be it.

Holy, to me, means 'be with God'. I think that being alone (on top of a mountain is my choice) CAN be more holy than attending to Sunday church activities. I also think that serving others ('when ye do it unto the least of these, ye do it unto me') CAN be more holy than attending to church activities.

I need more Holiness in my life.

Fair enough, Daylan. But why does doing one exclude the other (assuming, of course, the church services also bring one closer to God)?

I find it hard to 'be with God' (i.e. my definition of holy) during most church services. Yes, there are times when I can make a connection, but usually there are too many distractions - that I'm too weak to blot out.

I didn't mean to imply that one excludes the other.

I'm not sure that 'church' (the 3 hour block) is meant to be holy. Yes the sacrament should (or can be) somewhat holy, but the rest of the time is for edification and learning, which, while good and required, is not necessarily holy.

I'm still learning and don't have fixed thoughts on all this. Thanks for chance to ponder this a bit further.

I, for one, have a busy calling, and have asked that we do not have presidency meetings on Sunday. I love it.

Post a Comment

This Week's Topic:

  • The Sabbath Day

Various Authors

  • Monday:
    Kaycee opted out of Mormondom 4 years ago. She calls herself agnostic.
  • Tuesday:
    Sarah is not your average Gospel Doctrine Teacher.
  • Wednesday:
    Carrie Ann comes from pioneer stock, and lives in Provo, but is open minded and fair.
  • Thursday:
    Ned Flanders hasn't been to church in a while, but maintains an interest in all things Mormon.
  • Friday:
    John C. is an academic with a sense of humor and a testimony.
  • Saturday:
    JP's not going to church and feeling okay about it.

Various Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates