« Home | Baptism by proxy » | Dem Bones » | Just One More Thing to Feel Confused About » | Do you really baptize corpses? » | Covering Your Bases » | The Ensign and the Red-faced Minister » | Revelation or pragmatism? » | What might have been... » | Secret or Sacred? » | Mountain of the Lord » 

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 

Shaking it Up

We're changing the format here at Various Stages. After nearly a year of all posting on one topic per week, we've decided that we need a change. Perhaps our creativity was stifled or perhaps it was just too much of all one thing at a time, but some of our authors were becoming complacent because of or overburdened by the once per week requirement.

We've decided to follow the path that the majority of group blogs take... just post when you want, about what you want... so long as it's Mormon-relevant.

Hopefully, this next stage makes what we write more interesting and thought provoking. And maybe... just maybe... I'll get around to fixing our formatting issues.

Thanks for reading.

Hmmmm... Sounds like a risky move to me. You are going from being the unique group blog in the bloggernacle to being just another smallish group blog in the bloggernacle with too many contributors that don't get out in the community much...

Geoff, I am shocked, shocked that this is your criticism!

geoff j...

That may be true in some respects, but I think we still fill a niche. We are all in different places with respect to our committment, or lack thereof, to the Church. This means we have some unique perspectives to offer, still.

I have to say that I am really looking forward to this new format. For a year we have been writing on a topic each week, and after 52ish topics, I am ready to not be in such a structured format. I love the idea of a little stream of Mormon consciencness. It makes me all excited.

Another thing that baffles me is the fact that anyone would be upset with any changes we make. We have diligently written week after week (okay, so maybe not so recently) but our readers have failed to actively comment on most of our entries. Honestly, at this point I feel like if you haven't been consistantly contributing to this blog then you don't get a say. (Did that come off too harsh? I didn't mean it to)

That said, I truely am excited about this. I think it will be interesting and perhaps cause us to have better conversations in our comments sections.

Another thing that baffles me is the fact that anyone would be upset with any changes we make.

Ha! I suppose you are referring to me? Let me assure you I am not at all upset about the change. I was simply offering my marketing opinion.

But I guess if readership and commenting is not where you want it to be then a change is a good idea.

The change already got me to comment twice... it must be working already!

I agree with Sarah. The highly structured posting calendar was unique in the 'nacle, but I think it's become a hindrance whereas before it inspired posts.

I think that we still have a highly unique mix of Mormons here. But I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it all works out.

Obviously, I aggree (it was, after all, a group decision)and I'm excited on this new venture.

geoff j, you have brought up a good point. I do not want VSofM to join the ranks of "other" blogs that written by "too many contributors that don't get out in the community much..." The good news is that our group of contributors are so different and truly are in various stages of their mormondom. I think that right there sets us apart.

Well, that and Kaycee with her profile picture staring me in the face as I type my comment. ;)

I stumbled upon VSoM by accident and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to your new format, I can't wait to see what you all have to say when given free reign to blog about whatever blows your skirt up... good times!

I like that idea for the new format. As a non commenter, the reason that I don’t comment is because when I read late in the week and catch up, many of the comments that I would have made have made there are WHOLE POST on. And other comment that I think of making I don’t because I don’t want to ruin anyone’s post that might have the same theme as my coment. I think this is a move in the right direction!

Looking forward to the new format. I agree with Dragon - there wasn't often a reason to comment with the old format. I think you will all be more excited to blog now also, knowing that you can offer your take on any topic, instead of rehashing one that someone else has tackled fairly well already. Good for you!

Love the new format, love the support.

Great new look! I am excited to see what everyone will contribute, now that the themes can be self-appointed. I think there is a nice mix/balance.

Post a Comment

This Week's Topic:

  • The Sabbath Day

Various Authors

  • Monday:
    Kaycee opted out of Mormondom 4 years ago. She calls herself agnostic.
  • Tuesday:
    Sarah is not your average Gospel Doctrine Teacher.
  • Wednesday:
    Carrie Ann comes from pioneer stock, and lives in Provo, but is open minded and fair.
  • Thursday:
    Ned Flanders hasn't been to church in a while, but maintains an interest in all things Mormon.
  • Friday:
    John C. is an academic with a sense of humor and a testimony.
  • Saturday:
    JP's not going to church and feeling okay about it.

Various Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates